Wednesday, February 23, 2011

humility

It is no surprise that there are disagreements among the faithful of the Catholic Church.  Day in and day out there appear to be dozens of teachings, doctrines, and precepts of the Catholic faith that are controversial and difficult for her members.  (For example: the Church's teachings on homosexuality, the Church's teachings on birth control, the Church's understanding of faithful citizenship, etc.  The list really could go on and on and on.) A particularly difficult teaching for some of the faithful is the Church's traditional teaching that She is only able to ordain men to the priesthood of Jesus Christ.  The Holy Father, Venerable (but soon to be Blessed!) John Paul II, went so far as to promulgate an Apostolic Letter concerning this very topic.  

In the 1994 Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis, John Paul writes (emphasis my own): 

Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.  
John Paul makes it perfectly clear: there is no ability whatsoever for the Catholic Church to ordain women to the priesthood.  Period.  

Despite this Apostolic Letter, there has been dissent - sometimes particularly vocal dissent at that.  There is even an organization brazenly referring to itself as "Roman Catholic Womenpriests."  On its website (the link I will not provide, for fear of potentially causing my small readership to be scandalized), there are, in living color, photos of "ordinations," female "bishops," and female "priests".  There are even photographs of "Masses" and "liturgies" which these "priests" purport to have celebrated!  Needless to say, the Church does not recognize these "priests," these "Masses," or these "ordinations."  And sadly, these "ceremonies" still occur, and cause scandal for more and more of the faithful.  

Yet today, I read a beautiful story of humility regarding Norma Jean Coon, one of the purported "Womenpriests."  Her humility is completely inspiring.  

I wish to renounce the alleged ordination and publicly state that I did not act as a deacon as a part of this group except on two occasions, when I read the gospel once at mass and distributed communion once at this same mass. I withdrew from the program within two weeks of the ceremony because I realized that I had made a mistake in studying for the priesthood. I confess to the truth of Pope John Paul II's Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis . I confess the authority of the Holy Father on these issues of ordination and recognize that Christ founded the ordination only for men.

Formally, I relinquish all connection to the program of Roman Catholic Women Priests and I disclaim the alleged ordination publicly with apologies to those whose lives I have offended or scandalized by my actions. I ask God's blessings upon each of these folks and their families.
She proceeds to close her remarks with a beautiful, humble prayer to our Lord.  Read her remarks in their entirety here.  

What a blessed example, that those souls who appear to be the most lost, can still find their way back to our good God.  And what's more, no matter how lost a soul may be, our Lord, in His infinite mercy, will forgive the repentant sinner.  How often do I need these reminders!  However cloudy my own conscience might be and however sinful I (and humanity) may be, our Lord is always waiting, with open arms, to welcome back the repentant sinner.  He is always ready to bestow His mercy - it is our weakness, our pride, and sometimes our fear that keep us from asking for that mercy, particularly in the Sacrament of Confession.  What love!  What mercy!   And.....what strength of will it takes us to return to receive His open invitation to sanctifying grace. 


a presto



No comments: